Implementing Factions Can Fix The Pugs Vs Pre-Mades Issue

2 replies to this topic

#1 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

In my opinion implementing factions can solve the PUG VS Pre-Made issue.

Everyone will be required to choose one of the following:
A House Faction (Kurita, Marik, etc...)
A Merc Corp (aka a guild, player run group, player run clan, etc..)
The Lone Wolves Faction

House factions are the PUGgers. If you are part of a house faction you will only drop against other house factions. A group is optional. Group size is capped at 4 (or 3 or whatever). Your team mates will almost always be from your own house faction. If you do not have enough house faction members for your drop, additional people will be pulled from the "Lone Wolves" faction to fill in the gaps.

Merc Corps are the Pre-Mades. If you are part of a merc corp you will only drop against other merc corps. A group is required. Group size is capped at 8 (or 12 later on) with a minimum of 2. If you do not have enough merc corp members for your drop, additional people will be pulled from the "Lone Wolves" faction to fill in the gaps. Merc corp members can flag themselves as "free agents" temporarily. When doing so they cannot group and are put into the Lone Wolves queue when launching. They can remove this flag anytime between matches.

The Lone Wolves faction are also made up of PUGgers, but they chose to be there. They will drop against other lone wolves for the most part. Grouping is optional (or possibly not an option) and the cap (if grouping is an option) is set low, like 2 (or 3 or whatever). Lone Wolves will also be pulled in to fill the gaps in house faction drops and merc corp drops when needed. As an incentive, Lone Wolves will receive an additional X% additional XP and C-Bills per drop.

This way, people who only want to PUG and only fight other PUGs without worrying about Pre-Mades can do so. Those who want to be in a Pre-Made and fight other Pre-Mades can do so. Those who want to do both (and possibly get a small bonus for doing so) can also have their wish.

In addition, this would also solve the issue where some merc corps do not have enough active members at a given time to make a full 8 man (or 12 man) group as they will get the volunteer Lone Wolves to fill out the team as needed.

Edited by Asakara, 02 December 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#2 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I do not think this will solve anything.

There are groups that will not be "Merc" Corps and will be dedicated units for a House.

PUGs will not cease to be PUGs if they ally themselves with a faction. People can still choose a faction and still PUG.
I am in a merc group and I PUG too, so house or merc corp status is not going to stop PUGging.
Allying with a faction does not change how they play the game.

Much of what I say here will help solve all of this:

How To Reduce The Grind And Create A Great New User Experience

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I like the sound of your idea Asakara, but I have to agree with Taryys. Partly cause Mercs work for factions & generally house units are better than mercs. Not all Mercs but as a general rule.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users